DSR Blog

Pomona and Phoenix in the books

Hello DSR blog readers!

This week’s installment will be looking back at the highlights of the first two races of the NHRA Mello Yello Series season.

It was a good feeling getting to Pomona for the Winternationals. Nothing is more exciting than the first qualifying session of the season. We came out and ran well with a 4.07, which was 3rd quick for the round. After qualifying was said and done we ended up 10th.

As race day rolled around our crew chief Dickie Venables and assistant “Stretch” Mike Knudsen had come up with a game plan. If you haven’t seen Mike he’s the tall, skinny guy that towers over everyone on our team and everyone at the shop too. Be sure to look for him assisting Dickie on ESPN2 at our next race.

We ran Courtney Force in the first round at Pomona. After winning first round, one of the parachutes failed to blossom and Matt and the Mopar Express Lane Funny Car took a trip to the beach, also known as the sand trap.

With a little extra work involved we had to thrash in between rounds to get the car cleaned off and ready to go. It was a comfortable feeling though as the car returned to the pits and we saw a few crew members from both the U.S. Army team and the Valvoline team were there ready and waiting to help. It truly is a total team effort at DSR.

We made it to the final round and raced John Force. We struck the tires around 60 feet into the run. The results weren't a win but we were happy going rounds and getting back into the grove of things.

We then went on to Phoenix after a day of servicing all the parts and components it takes to race while still in Pomona. After a week off we were back and ready to go again. Phoenix started well as we ran low ET of the first session of qualifying, then a little bit of struggle set in for the next three runs as we were trying to push the envelope and run harder.

We qualified 11th and had to face our teammate Jack Beckman in the first round. With one of the best side by side races of the first round, we came up just a little bit short. Jack’s car had damaged a rear end during the run and even though the Valvoline team defeated us, the Mopar team went over and helped change out the rear end making sure everything was ready for the 2nd round.

We stayed and tested on Monday after Phoenix and made five runs. We were pleased with the results we packed up and headed home. After the drive back home we had a little time off and we are back to the grind now preparing everything for the Gatornationals in Gainesville, Fla., next week.

The team is all on the same page and we are excited and ready to roll. Hopefully we will have some exciting news to report after Gainesville. Spirits are high and the fun meter is pegged.

Thanks again for reading!


Posts by Driver


Sign up to receive Shoe's News

Thank You!

Thank you for signing up to receive Shoe’s News.